Monday, June 9, 2014


Renovation Update



After a few delays and mistakes on behalf of the flooring installer we finally have new floors. The change from tiles to floorboards has been worth all the heartache, cost and time. We decided on Blackbutt wood, which is a very light blonde hardwood. I chose this wood because it is a light colour making it easy to stain. In our previous house we used blackbutt and stained in a very dark brown almost black which I thought looked amazing but this time we decided to go lighter stain and settled on a colour called Old Baltik by Feast and Watson with a polyurethane semi gloss varnish.

Instead of using the traditional floorboard width of 80mm we decided to go with a wider board at 130mm which I think looks great. 

Below are a few photos of the original tiles, the boards unstained and the final product.

There is still so much to do such as the stairs, painting, new light fittings, shutters on the windows and curtains, filling in a wall and to do something nice with the pillars not to mention choosing colours and a few new pieces of furniture.... phew I'm exhausted just thinking about it! 



The original tiles




Blackbutt unstained 



Stained Blackbutt with Old Baltik Stain








MrsCB

1 comment:

  1. Those floors certainly look amazing! I like the look of the blackbutt wood and that stain is beautiful. I'm not too familiar with that type of hardwood until I looked it up and learned that it is made from a eucalyptus tree. Anyway, I hope the renovations are doing well and everything's going according to plans. I can't wait to see the final results. Cheers!

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete